A food business could be anything from a cafe or deli, to a restaurant.
Before you get started with your food business, there's some things you need to have in place. You need to:
- Be registered as a food business (even if you're only selling drinks)
- Make sure all your staff have a Food Hygiene Level 2 (minimum) qualification
- Have a robust Food Management System in place
- Make sure all staff have sufficient demonstrable knowledge of the 14 allergens
- Contact business rates
- Contact planning and building control (if you're changing the use of your building)
We have gathered a wide range of information relevant to your business, some you may already have, some you might need. If you're not sure please get in touch.
We think your business would benefit from this support
Gain or Retain 5
We can help you try and reach a 5 star hygiene rating.
We can help you with all aspects of your application.
Takes you through best practice with regards to allergens specific to your business.
Covid 19 Support
Covid 19 business advice and support.
Food Safety training courses
Understand how inspections work and what not to do during them.
Health and Safety Direct
Takes you through the health and safety requirements specific to your business.
Trading Standards advice
We can help you with all aspects of your business, such as labelling and more.
Help and advice tailored to your business.
Fire safety advice
We can help you with your risk assessments and other fire safety needs.
Our online training area has a wide range of courses for you
We offer a comprehensive pest control service.
Your business could enter a partnership with us to assure your procedures and processes.
Planning on doing some development work? You'll need to see whether you need building regulation consent.
Weights and Measures
Trading Standards inspect equipment used to weigh or measure goods sold by businesses.
Safer Food Better Business
Food management system you need in place for your business.
The Environmental Health NOISE team supports you by offering a range of advice services in respect of noise from your business.
Land, air and water support for your business
Sign up to our email newsletter.
- Check out the Food Standards Agency website for the latest updates on legislation.
Need any other help and support?
- The Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Growth Hub can offer you a variety of business advice to help your business.
- Gov.uk also has a variety of information for businesses
Sign up to our mailing list to receive news, updates and reminders direct to your mobile or email address.